BTHA Guidance



The BTHA has been engaged with Westminster and Whitehall throughout the Brexit process to represent members views, inform policy decisions on the toy industry’s concerns, and translate information from government into guidance for members.

This section includes information to help guide members through the Brexit process. This guidance may change regularly as new information becomes available with white papers, voting on UK regulations and questions answered. Please check back regularly to see if there has been a change to the guidance.

BTHA Introduction to Brexit Deal Implications
Published |  4th January 2021

BTHA Brexit Guidance

Customs & Tariffs

You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

Non-preferential rates for EU calculations
Published |  5th March 2021

Non-preferential rates for UK calculations
Published |  5th March 2021

Toys & Brexit - Customs Arrangements
Published | 30th November 2021

Source countries and tariffs
Published |  30th November 2020

Rules of Origin and Special Procedures
Published |  1st March 2021

BTHA Brexit Guidance


You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

BTHA Product Technical Brexit Guidance
Published  |  15th November 2022

Toys & Brexit - Sustainability
Published  |  4th January 2021

Toys & Brexit - Cosmetics Guide
Published  |  4th January 2021

REACH Brexit Guidance January 2021
Published  |  4th January 2021

BTHA Brexit Guidance


You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

HW Fisher VAT & Duty Guide - February 2021
Published |  3rd February 2021

BTHA Brexit Guidance

Intellectual Property

You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

Toys & Brexit - Intellectual Property and Copyright
Published  |  4th January 2021

BTHA Brexit Guidance

Data Protection

You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

Toys & Brexit - BTHA GDPR Guide
Published |  November 2020

BTHA Brexit Guidance


EEA nationals (including all EU citizens and Swiss nationals), who entered the UK before 31 December 2020, have their right to remain protected by the EU Settlement Scheme, which is open for applications until 30 June 2021.

EEA nationals and their family members arriving in the UK from 1 January 2021 will still be able to come to the UK for visits in much the same way as they did before but for a maximum period of six months. EU Settlement Scheme: presentation

If EEA nationals wish to come to the UK to work or to live long term, they will need to apply under the immigration rules system (primarily the Points- Based System) which entered into force on 1 December 2020. This is a "single immigration system" for skilled talent that is equally applicable to non-EU and EU migrants alike from 1 January 2021 but does not have provision for less skilled workers.

Special arrangements exist between the Republic of Ireland and the UK. Irish citizens do not have to apply for any permission to live and work in the UK, as they continue to have the right to enter and live in the UK under the Common Travel Area.

Social security: EU social security rules continue to apply to any employee posted before 31 December 2020. For workers posted afterwards, the TCA has put in place measures so that social security benefits are coordinated. Nevertheless, employers sending employees from the UK to the EU and the EU to the UK still face more difficulties than existed under the EU regulatory framework that was applicable until 31 December 2020.

For companies with employees in Europe, each EU and EEA state has its own immigration system and, therefore, UK citizens are now subject to the local requirements that might

BTHA Brexit Guidance


To travel to countries in the EEA you may need to check for rules in individual countries, such as:

‚ÄĘ Passport ‚Äď may need 6 months left and be less than 10 years old
‚ÄĘ Healthcare ‚Äď check validity of European and Global Health Insurance cards and check need for appropriate health insurance
‚ÄĘ Check you have the correct border documents
‚ÄĘ Check you have the correct driving documents
‚ÄĘ Check your contract for mobile roaming

Tourists can stay for 90 days in any 180 day period for most countries (check before you book) but work travel or longer stays may require a visa. Staff will also need a visa if they are transferring from a UK branch to a branch in a different country (even for a short period of time).

For more information see:

Visit Europe
Business Travel
Check the entry requirements and rules of the country you’re visiting
Check you’ve got the right documentation to take goods to the EU. You will need to make a customs declaration.

BTHA Brexit Guidance

Northern Ireland

You will need to be logged in as a full member to view

Final Authorised Representation Mandate
Published  |  May 2019

IQS Introduction Authorised Representative
Published  |  May 2019

BTHA Authorised Representative Presentation
Published  |  September 2018